Monday, November 10, 2008

The Hunt for an Image Authoring Software

When I created this blog I had decided I will not write about technology. It is what I live and breathe everyday, literally. I had made a pact with myself that if at all I feel geeky, it will be a rant of some sort or a humourous run down. But after spending a late evening at the office looking for an image authoring software, I felt I should go back on my words...eat the ol' proverbial hat...so to speak.
What I wanted to do was this:
- Create a disk image of a set of files and mount it on a virtual CD/DVD drive.
I hardly ever come across the need to do this at work and I rarely ever get to use the computer at home long enough to tinker around with such stuff. It has been a while since I did this sort of thing and as a force of habit tend to uninstall software that is used infrequently.
A couple of Google searches later, I hit upon the motherload — a list of optical disc authoring software. This list is exhaustive and the creators/editors have nicely categorized them, for noobs like me, into Freeware and Commercial ware.
I ended up choosing ImageBrn and Virtual CloneDrive. Reason? Simply because they are free, easy to use, light on the sytem, I vaguely remember using them a long time ago and they suited my needs for the moment.
Hopefully this will serve as a helping hand, a signboard showing them the way to the restroom, the compass in the wilderness they find themselves in...
(Now you know why I just had to spread the love.)

More Links: List of Disk Image Emulators, List of ISO Image Software

4 comments:

Droomvla said...

Goodness gracious, these terms sound so alien to me! lol Love the way you ended your blog though. hahahahaha

Educational Adventures - Project Travel said...

thanks for the suggestions... i see you are starting a new and private online life.... good luck with the test ;)

Aristarkhos said...

oh ha! The Traveller is back. :)
Now in gay Pah-Ree, yes?
You are most welcome. What test are you referring to? The whole image drive thing? Tested and tried. It worked like a charm.

Nothing private about it, Private! ;)
It is here for the good of humanity. For some poor hungry soul who needs to make a fake CD and a fake CD drive to play it on. So that he can have more...and yet not have them.
You are permitted to be sufficiently confused now.

Aristarkhos said...

droomvla - Love. The many splendoured thang. It makes the world go round, they say.
The lovers be a dizzy lot, I say.

Goa: Tickell's Blue Flycatcher

  View this post on Instagram A post shared by Aristarkhos (@ghelabhai)